Our Commitment To You
What personal information do we collect from our users?
Automatically Collected Information
When you visit the Site or Services, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, mobile device, IP address, unique device identifiers, software and hardware attributes (including the type of operating system you use), approximate geographic location, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device (collectively, “Device Information”).
Additionally, as you browse the Services, we collect information about how you use the Services, such as the date and time you logged in, the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Services, and information about how you interact with the Services and other users (collectively, “Usage Information”).
Information You Provide
Additionally, when you visit the Services, we may either require or collect “Personal Information.” Personal Information is information that could personally identify you, for example, your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and requested payment information. Personal Information does not include any data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data). For purposes of this policy, your Device Information and Usage Information is included within the discussion of “Personal Information” (unless we clearly state otherwise herein).
In the following instances, we collect and require you to actively submit Personal Information:
- When you set up your account with Vapid (whether you are an individual or an individual acting on behalf of a company), you need to provide your name, email address.
- When you set up and use your account with Vapid, you also provide us with specific profile data, such as your username and password.
- When you contact us with a question or concern, you may be required to provide certain personal information like your name, email, mailing address, and/or phone number.
- When you sign up for and purchase a paid subscription, you will be required to provide your name, email address, and phone number as well as your billing address and payment information (based on the payment method you choose) (collectively, “Payment Information”).
- When you sign up to receive marketing communications, such as our newsletter or updates about the Services, you must provide us with your email address.
- When you respond to a survey or enter a promotion provided through the Services, you may be required to provide your name, email address, mailing address, and/or phone number.
Information We Receive or Collect from Other Third Parties or Public Sources
Cookies and Similar Technologies
“Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. A cookie may enable the website owner to track how a visitor navigates through its website and the areas in which they show interest. This is similar to a traffic report: it tracks trends and behaviors, but does not identify individuals. Information gathered may include date and time of visits, pages viewed, time spent at the site, and the website visited just before and just after a visit to our Services. Cookies can be set to expire: (1) on a specified date; (2) after a specific period of time; (3) when a transaction has been completed; or (4) when a user turns off his/her Internet browser. A cookie that is erased from memory when a visitor’s Internet browser closes is called a “session” cookie. Cookies that expire based on a time set by the Web server are called “persistent” cookies.
Our Services may use both “session cookies” and “permanent cookies.” Most people do not know that cookies are being placed on their computers when they visit our Service or most websites because browsers are typically set to accept cookies. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Services, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Services.
We also collect or receive various Usage Information and Device Information from third party analytics providers, such as Google, Amazon Web Services, Stripe and Twitter as well as from other advertising networks.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small piece of data that a website stores on your device when you visit, typically containing information about the website itself, a unique identifier that allows the site to recognise your web browser when you return, additional data that serves the purpose of the cookie, and the lifespan of the cookie itself.
Cookies are used to enable certain features (eg. logging in), to track site usage (eg. analytics), to store your user settings (eg. timezone, notification preferences), and to personalise your content (eg. advertising, language).
Cookies set by the website you are visiting are normally referred to as “first-party cookies”, and typicallyonly track your activity on that particular site. Cookies set by other sites and companies (ie. third parties) are called “third-party cookies”, and can be used to track you on other websites that use the same third-party service.
Types of cookies and how we use them
Essential cookies are crucial to your experience of a website, enabling core features like user logins, account management, shopping carts and payment processing. We use essential cookies to enable certain functions on our website.
Performance cookies are used in the tracking of how you use a website during your visit, without collecting personal information about you. Typically, this information is anonymous and aggregated with information tracked across all site users, to help companies understand visitor usage patterns, identify and diagnose problems or errors their users may encounter, and make better strategic decisions in improving their audience’s overall website experience. These cookies may be set by the website you’re visiting (first-party) or by third-party services. We use performance cookies on our site.
Functionality cookies are used in collecting information about your device and any settings you may configure on the website you’re visiting (like language and timezone settings). With this information, websites can provide you with customised, enhanced or optimised content and services. These cookies may be set by the website you’re visiting (first-party) or by third-party service. We use functionality cookies for selected features on our site.
Targeting/advertising cookies are used in determining what promotional content is more relevant and appropriate to you and your interests. Websites may use them to deliver targeted advertising or to limit the number of times you see an advertisement. This helps companies improve the effectiveness of their campaigns and the quality of content presented to you. These cookies may be set by the website you’re visiting (first-party) or by third-party services. Targeting/advertising cookies set by third-parties may be used to track you on other websites that use the same third-party service. We do not use this type of cookie on our site.
Third-party cookies on our site
OUR THIRD-PARTY PRIVACY PROMISE
We review the privacy policies of all our third-party providers before enlisting their services to ensure their practices align with ours. We will never knowingly include third-party services that compromise or violate the privacy of our users.
How you can control or opt out of cookies
If you browse websites from multiple devices, you may need to update your settings on each individual device.
Although some cookies can be blocked with little impact on your experience of a website, blocking all cookies may mean you are unable to access certain features and content across the sites you visit.
How do we use the information we collect?
We use your Device Information and Usage Information to monitor the usage of our Service, assess its performance, ensure technological compatibility with your computer or mobile device, and understand the relative importance of the information provided on our Services. We may also use this data to conduct statistical analyses on visitors’ usage patterns and other aggregated data. We do this to improve and optimize our Services for you. We also use your Device Information and Usage Information to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address).
We use the Personal Information you provide us in order to perform basic business functions. This may include communicating with you, processing any requests by you, identifying and fixing any problems with the Services, and otherwise making the Services available to you. Our use of this Personal Information is most commonly based on our legitimate business purposes or other lawful bases set forth below. When we make a decision to use your information for our legitimate interests, we make sure to consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) to ensure that our rights or interests do not override your fundamental rights and interests.
We also use your Personal Information in order to perform the contractual relationship with our subscribers (or prospective subscribers), and where we have your specific consent, typically for marketing purposes only. See the “Communications” section below for more information.
As referenced above, we may use your Personal Information for legitimate business purposes or other lawful bases, including to:
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business, our Services, and other products and services we offer
- Aggregate certain information that does not include your Personal Information and disclose it for analysis, demographic profiling and/or targeted advertising
- Provide you with technical service and support, including updates
- Tailor the content we display in our communications with you and/or improve your user experience
- Administer surveys and other market research
- Provide you with information regarding Vapid’s benefits and services
- Store, archive, retrieve, and make copies of your user generated content
- Process payments
- Comply with legal requirements, judicial process, and our company policies (including to verify users’ identity in connection with access or correction requests)
- Protect against, identify, investigate, and respond to fraud, illegal activity (such as incidents of hacking or misuse of our Services), and claims and other liabilities, including by enforcing the terms and conditions that govern the services we provide
Note that we may process your Personal Information for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your personal data where more than one ground has been set out in the table below.
How do we share the information we collect?
We do not rent or sell your Personal Information without your permission. However, we may share your Personal Information with others for the purposes described below:
- We may share your Personal Information whenever you specifically consent to us doing so.
- We may share or disclose your Personal Information where necessary to provide you with the Services and/or associated services, including with trusted third-parties who assist in operating the Services, providing any associated Vapid services, and otherwise conducting our business.
- We may share your Personal Information with third party payment processors for the purpose of processing payments made through the Services.
- We may share your Personal Information, where necessary, with Vapid’s parents, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, licensees, affiliates, or business partners.
- We may share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
- We may share your Personal Information when doing so is needed to help prevent against fraud or the violation of any applicable law, statute, regulation, ordinance, or treaty.
- We may disclose Personal Information you provide us in connection with the sale, assignment, or other transfer of the business or a portion of the business of the Site, including a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring, sale of assets, or other corporate change of our company.
Without limiting the foregoing, Vapid currently shares your Personal Information with the following third-parties:
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Analytics
We may aggregate and/or de-identify any Personal Information, Usage Information or Device Information that you provide or we collect, such that the information no longer identifies any specific individual. We may use, disclose and otherwise process such information for our own legitimate business purposes – including historical and statistical analysis, marketing, and business planning – without restriction. However, if we combine or connect any aggregated data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat this combined data as Personal Information which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
When you provide us consent to do so (either upon contacting us through our Services or through our normal marketing communications), we will communicate with you through general marketing communications via email and push notifications directly to your mobile device. You must affirmatively opt-in to receive these communications before you receive them.
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your Personal Information with any company outside the Vapid group of companies (or other third parties listed herein) for marketing purposes.
Regardless of where you live, you may also opt-out of these marketing communications at any time by following the instructions provided in any marketing communication you receive. Please note that even if you opt-out of receiving marketing communications, you may still receive-business related communications, such as transactional emails.
Do Not Track
Please note that we do not alter our Services’ data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
Access to and Managing Your Information; Opt-Out
We believe it is important for you to be able to: (1) find out what Personal Information you have provided to us through our Services; (2) update your information; or (3) “opt out” of receiving future marketing communications. To inquire about your Personal Information, update your Personal Information, or “opt out” of receiving future marketing communications or any other collection or use practice based on your consent, please send an email with your request and current contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We generally respond to email requests within 24 hours of receiving a request, but it may take up to 30 days depending on the volume of requests we receive.
Your Rights to the Personal Information You Provide
You have the right to access and control the Personal Information you provide us. These rights include the right to:
- Access your Personal Information;
- Correct, update, or delete your Personal Information;
- Withdraw or limit your consent (to Personal Information that was provided based on consent);
- Data portability of certain Personal Information;
- Object to us processing your Personal Information for reasons such as direct marketing purposes and for scientific or historical research or statistical purposes;
- Not be subject to automated decision-making, which includes profiling, where such decision-making could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes.
If you would like to exercise these rights (which you may do at any time) or inquire as to any additional rights you may have under applicable law, please contact us through the contact information provided below. We will respond to any request as promptly as possible.
Personal Information Transfer and Storage
When you provide information to us, you understand and agree that Vapid will retain your Personal Information as long as is necessary and relevant for our operations, and in accordance with applicable laws.
How We Protect Your Information
We strive to maintain internal controls and procedures to ensure that the information you share with us is handled in a safe, secure and responsible manner. We have security measures to help protect against loss, unauthorized access and alteration of the information in our control. We will only disclose such information to employees and authorized service providers who require such information for the purposes described in this Policy. Our databases are protected by physical, technical, and procedural measures that restrict access to authorized persons in accordance with this Policy. Although no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed 100% secure, and we cannot ensure against any loss, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, alteration, or destruction of data, we take reasonable precautions to prevent such unfortunate occurrences. Nevertheless, we cannot and do not guarantee that information you post on or transmit to the Services will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Third-Party Service Providers and Third-Party Links
When you click on links on our Services that take you to third-party websites, you will be subject to the third parties’ privacy policies. While we support the protection of privacy on the Internet, we cannot be responsible for the actions of any third-party websites. We encourage you to read the posted privacy policies of any and every website you visit, whether you are linking from our Services or browsing on your own.
California Privacy Rights
Under California’s “Shine the Light Law,” California residents have the right to receive information that identifies any third-party companies or individuals that Vapid has shared your Personal Information with in the previous calendar year, as well as a description of the categories of Personal Information disclosed to that third party. You may obtain this information once a year and free of charge by contacting Vapid at the address below.
Personal Information About Children
We do not knowingly collect age identifying information, nor do we knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 years. However, we hereby advise all visitors to our site under the age of 13 not to disclose or provide any personally identifiable information on our Services. If you are concerned that Personal Information may have been inadvertently provided to or collected by Vapid, please contact us immediately so appropriate steps may be taken to remove such information from Vapid’s database.
Changes to this Policy
Robbin & Company LLC
Attn: Scott Robbin
1718 Sherman Ave
Evanston, IL 60201